Wednesday, May 8, 2013

last week of medical school

I finished my last week, my last lecture, of medical school. Graduation in a few days. I am so humbled and honored by everything I have seen and done over the past 4 years. I think this perspective comes from a year of lots of sacrifice and learning as my health has taken a massive dive. At my last lecture, one very wise professor said "experience is just the test before the lesson." How true do those words ring? Today has been a day of highs and lows, ups and downs, goods and bads; doesn't that sound just like your typical day with arthritis? Or maybe just the beginning of the best Twain novel you will ever encounter. I have laughed and cried, been somber and reproachful. Today, everyone has something to say as we continue our journeys. People are filled with adages, sage pieces of advice, but being someone young and very new, this advice is lost without context. I feel as though I have the body of a 60 year old and wisdom of someone beyond my years as I am already trying to sort through my own feelings of life, death, and what it means to be a human. I feel like every moment is more precious because you never know when it will be your last; or in my case, the last pain-free moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment